Monday, March 10, 2014

Neurosis and Living in The Moment

One of the biggest factors that contributes to anxiety and depression in my opinion is having a mind that is "all over the place"or "scatterbrained" (Neurosis). Another good description would be "The lights are on but nobody is home".

When I was younger, as I have stated my earlier post, roughly 5-10% of my mental energy was focused on "the moment" (reality, what's going on right now etc). The other 90% was totally internal. Unrelated thoughts, violent images (violence directed towards me mostly), anxious thoughts involving social situations, obsessive thoughts about my weakness etc. This is a very dark world to live in. From the outside, the person may seem to just be little unresponsive and shy (as was my case). But inside they might be experiencing a turbulent, fearful world.

Meditation is a great example of solving this problem. Meditation basically increases the 5-10% living in the moment to nearly 100% living in the moment. If done for long enough, the obsessive, anxious thoughts slowly float away and a sense of calm and peacefulness is experienced. Your mind is basically chilling out, taking a break. "Freeing the mind" now makes sense.

The way I meditate is by keeping it real simple. Just focus on your surroundings. Close your eyes and listen to the sounds all around you, or focus on your breathe, or "feel" the sensations of your body. Don't make things too complicated by trying to sit in the Lotus position, or researching complicated techniques etc. You can never think your way to peacefulness. Just give your mind a break. Relax. Listen to the birds. You will feel rejuvenated afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment